In math, the students will work with fractions, decimals, negative numbers and very large numbers. At this stage your child must focus on multiplying and dividing multi-digit numbers. While you are preparing your child for fifth grade, remember to make him understand about the complex issues in society. Summer holidays are the best time for you to teach your child activities that can help him in character building and personality development.
Reading Skills: In order to prepare your child for the fifth class reading, make your child read various kids of text this summer. For instance if your child enjoyed reading a novel about baseball, encourage him to read about his favorite sports team in the sports section of the newspaper or on the internet. If your child enjoyed a nonfiction book about the revolutionary war, encourage him to try to read a historical novel set in that time period too. With this interest of leading different books, your child would learn a lot of things and also improve his reading skills. If you can not afford to buy books from the market, visit the library close to your home or ask the librarian of your child’s school to help provide you interesting books for your child.
Math Skills: In order to make sure that your child is ready for the fifth-grade math, make your child solve problems that your encounter in real life. When you go to the market, make your child do the payment and have her check that he has received the correct change. There are many other activities in which you can involve your child, to ensure that he learns the math skills easily.
Physical and Social Skills:
- Improve problem-solving skills
- Acquire more advanced listening and responding skills
- Need for more sleep
- Enjoy organizing and classifying objects and ideas
- Your child must be able to read and concentrate for long periods of time
- Read complex text fluently and with good comprehension
- Research a topic using a variety of sources like internet and books
- Identify the conflict, climax and resolution in a story
- Write an organized, multi-paragraph composition in sequential order with a central idea
- Use problem-solving strategies to solve real-world math problems
- Add and subtract fractions and decimals