Healthy eating habits play a significant role in staying fit and healthy. Teaching your children healthy eating habits means to keep them at a healthy weight. The healthy eating habits that your children learn would help them maintain a healthy lifestyle for their entire remaining life.
One of the most important things that contribute to healthy eating is cutting down of unnecessary fat intake. There are several ways to reduce the amount of fat intake, eating nonfat dairy products, poultry without skin, lean meats, low-fat or fat- free breads and cereals. Once your kids get use to eating low fat or non fat food, they start staying healthy.
Though it is never difficult for a mother to decide what is healthy for her kids and what is not. Even then if you face any issue or you are not sure of certain thing, you can consult a doctor and he would help you know how to prepare a variety of foods for your family. For this matter it is better if you see a dietitian for the nutrition counseling.
It is very important that you do not place your child on a preventive diet, until and unless your doctor has said so for any medical reasons. Never put your children at a restrictive diet in order to lose weight. However there are a few other healthy eating habits that can be developed in your children in order for them to stay healthy.
1. It’s very essential for you to guide your family’s choices, rather than dictating foods. Keep all the healthy foods available in the house, this way your kids would have a chance to learn how to make healthy food choices.
2. Make your children eat slowly. A child can detect hunger and fullness better when eating slowly.
3. Try to eat meals together as a family, and make the meal time as pleasant as possible. This can be done with conversation and sharing. It should be not a time for scolding and arguing. If mealtimes are unpleasant, kids will try to finish up their meal faster, leaving the dinning area as early as possible. Children may also start associating eating with stress.
4. Make your children do the shopping and prepare meals. This will give you a chance to know about the food preferences of your children. It will give an opportunity to your children to learn about nutrition.
5. Children feel quite comfortable with snacks, however continuous snacking may lead to overeating. It would be good to prepare snacks at specific times of the day which can serve as a nutritious diet. Try to make snacks as nutritious as possible.
6. Discourage your children eating meals or snacks while watching television. Eating while watching television makes it difficult for the kids to pay their attention to the feelings of fullness, and it may lead to overeating.